Well, after playing around with Microsoft Publisher for several weeks, I have finally gotten the page layout to look somewhat professional. I’m probably going to switch to Adobe InDesign eventually, but at the moment, I don’t have the time to learn a new publishing program, so I decided to make something in Publisher that looks semi-decent, and use it for the rough draft. Now that I have a page layout that doesn’t eat away at me by looking too amateurish, I am free to gather my notes, and begin typing them into the document, thereby bringing the Alpha version of OTTER to life. I’ve written the introduction already, and since it took up a whole page, I decided to export it to Adobe Acrobat, to get an idea of what a printed product will look like. I have included a screen shot of this below; and I hope that you’ll agree with me, in thinking that it looks pretty decent.
You may have noticed that each page has two margin chapter heading boxes, and two page number bubbles; that’s because it’s easier to just put them both in, and then, once the document is finished, go in a delete the ones that would be next to the spine; i.e., pages that lay on the left side when the book is open will have the heading and page number on the left side, and I will delete the ones on the right, since that part of the page will be next to the spine. Pages that lay on the right side when the book is open will have the heading and page number on the right side, and I will delete the ones on the left. If that sounds confusing, don’t worry, you’ll see what I mean when you get your hands on the finished product.
Well, that’s about it, I’m really just in the beginning stages of stringing everything together, but now that I have a draft version layout to work with, the compilation and editing is going to go a lot faster. It’s much easier to think and compose when you have an aesthetically pleasing layout page to stare at.